Faceted Shields for Starmada Nova SFU

The Universal Game of Starship Combat

Re: Faceted Shields for Starmada Nova SFU

Postby werdegast » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:52 pm

OldnGrey wrote:No, that was perhaps a bad example as the class has minimal shielding (all facets except aft have shield value 6). Each facet can have its' own level of shielding (Nova shield value). The way I play it is that all facets either lose or repair levels at the same time.

Paul

Oh... That sounds much better. I will run that through some play-testing to see what my group thinks.
werdegast
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby BeowulfJB » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Could you give us a better example of what you propose and how it would work? Hopefully one with the front shield stronger.
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!
Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...
BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby OldnGrey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:21 am

Sure, I hope that this explains the way I use faceted shields in Nova.
Faceted shields for Nova example.pdf
(220.54 KiB) Downloaded 64 times

Paul
So let it be written, so let it be done.
OldnGrey
Admiral
Admiral

Postby BeowulfJB » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks Paul, I like the way the SSD looks. Brilliant! 8-)
We are playing Starmada here in S.Fla. on Monday. It will be an option if anyone wants to use it.
Cheers
Darn the Fusion Torpedoes; full speed ahead!
Victory is blasting hostile ships to space junk before they blast you into space junk...
BeowulfJB
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby werdegast » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:51 am

After playing with multiple methods of Directional/Faceted shielding we decided to use the method below.

Six shield faces as in Star Fleet Battles and Federation Commander using the existing 3 divisions as a base.

ex 1. Fed CA has 3 blocks of 6. We expand that to 6 blocks of 6.

Shield 1 = 6 Points, Shield 2 = 6 Points, Shield 3 = 6 Points, Shield 4 = 6 Points, Shield 5 = 6 Points, Shield 6 = 6 Points

ex 2. Fed DNF has 3 blocks of 8. We expand that to 6 blocks of 8.

Shield 1 = 8 Points, Shield 2 = 8 Points, Shield 3 = 8 Points, Shield 4 = 8 Points, Shield 5 = 8 Points, Shield 6 = 8 Points

Hull points remain the same and are reduced after the facing shield is depleted. After a few more tests we may discover that ships are destroyed too soon and HPs may need to be increased.

This does mess with the PV numbers but since every ship/base in the game has these expanded shields it evens out. (Well more or less.) It is also an easy method of allowing extra defense tactics without a huge increase in complexity.
werdegast
Midshipman
Midshipman

Previous

Return to Starmada