Wardogs or Defiance?

Mechanized warfare in the XXXIV Century

Moderator: go0gleplex

koyodude
Midshipman
Midshipman

Wardogs or Defiance?

Postby koyodude » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Hey guys, new to MJ12. I just got Starmada, gonna pick up Ares, and I would like a nice sci fi ground game to round out the collection. Question is, what exactly is the difference between Wardogs and Defiance. I get the vibe that Defiance is more W40K, and Wardogs is more Battletech? Is there any difference between the two aside from mechs?

I would like to try out a Wardog conversion of Gear Krieg. can this game accomodate that type of setting? Or is it pretty much only for far future genres?

Thanks

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Wardogs or Defiance?

Postby go0gleplex » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:07 pm

Wardogs is a bit less involved than Defiance...

And yes, it can accommodate Gear Krieg, though you might need to tinker things a bit...but it's also designed with that in mind as well. :) For non-specific settings, it is set up to be able to run steampunk to far future.

And while it seems mech-centric, it really is more of a combined arms balance...much more-so than battletech on top of being a bit faster and bloodier in terms of combat. At least IMO. :)
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

fodder
Midshipman
Midshipman

Re: Wardogs or Defiance?

Postby fodder » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:29 am

I think the most basic difference is scale of play. Defiance AFIAK is designed for 20mm-30mm figs where as War Dogs is designed for 10/15mm and lower. I'm getting into 6mm myself so of course my vote is for War Dogs. The robust vehicle design system allows you to design a balanced army the way that you want. If you want mechs, you can have mechs, but if you have a buddy that's not into giant robos they can do that too. Basically, if you want to to Gear Krieg, but you have a friend that isn't into the walkers. You could still do an alternate history WWII game with one army that doesn't have Walker tech.
Well, somebody's shootin' somebody! Let's go find us a war.

Return to “Wardogs”