Plane data

Squadron-level WW2 aerial combat
brigadetony
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby brigadetony » Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:53 pm

I downloaded the rules the other day - at the current sterling -> $ exchange rate, I think it cost me the equivalent of about three ship's peanuts ! First read through looks pretty impressive and I'm looking forward to giving them a game.

Problem is, I have a pretty large collection (100+) of Tumbling Dice's excellent 1/600th models and they're all 1939-1940 era aircraft so at the moment I can use about 1/4 of them at most :? Although I can game Spitfires (albeit the wrong mark) and Hurricanes versus Me-109s and 110s using the rules, I can't use most of my French planes (some admittedly obscure but some fairly common ones as well such as the Bloch MB-152), Gloster Gladiators (vital for the Belgians and the BEF in France) or any of my Polish or Dutch aircraft at all.

I know you're a busy man, Dan, so I wouldn't expect a fully-fledged spreadsheet like the Starmada one, but just some clues about how the values are generated would help. I'm happy to generate my own data cards in CorelDraw as long as I have the right numbers to drop in. I've reverse-engineered the existing stats and could probably take a reasonable stab at generating new planes but any guidance would be helpful.

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:35 pm

I'm not sure how I want to proceed with Spitting Fire, so I'm reluctant to give away all the state secrets (except to say that the math ain't that hard if you want to give reverse engineering a go... :)).

However, by way of tiding you over, here are three more marks of the Spitfire...
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

elsyr
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby elsyr » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:44 pm

I'd really like to see the open-source nature of MJ12 games like Starmada continue with Spitting Fire, but I understand the quandary. Maybe part of the problem is with the demo? For Starmada, the demo provides enough to sample the gameplay, but not enough to design ships, which is what everybody wants. Therefore, people can try the game to see if they want to buy it, but really HAVE to buy it to do anything useful with it. For Spitting Fire, on the other hand, if someone has the demo and can create plane stats, they're good to go (without paying for anything). There's not an important piece of rule structure missing from the demo.

That said, I'd rather see supplements for Spitting fire primarily be books with additional RULES (for air-to-ground, jets, bombers and interception, night fighters), than books primarily containing new planes. My preference would be for the rules to be applicable to any plane I've a fancy to create stats for (with the same calculations Dan would use), without having to wait for Dan to get an interest in, for instance, the BV 138 or FW 189 or Lysander or other oddities and publish the "official" plane. I really like the "open source" feel of Starmada, and other MJ12 games ... the game provides the framework in the form of rules, but what specific armies or miniatures or whatnot to use is up to the players. I'd like to see that continue with SF.

Doug

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:33 pm

elsyr wrote:without having to wait for Dan to get an interest in, for instance, the BV 138 or FW 189 or Lysander or other oddities

You mean like these?

:)
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:47 pm

cricket wrote:
elsyr wrote:without having to wait for Dan to get an interest in, for instance, the BV 138 or FW 189 or Lysander or other oddities

You mean like these?

Just out of curiosity, what's the circle on the BV-138 data card?

mj12games
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby mj12games » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:55 pm

underling wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the circle on the BV-138 data card?

"A few Bv 138C-1s were equipped with a large electric degaussing ring and used for minesweeping."

Although it doesn't appear on most versions of the 'Seedrache', I still think it's neat.
Daniel Kast
Majestic Twelve Games
www.mj12games.com

FlakMagnet
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Open-source... expanding the range...

Postby FlakMagnet » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:57 pm

I'd also like to see Spitting Fire maintain the "open feel" of MJ12's other games.

It would be very nice to be able to "convert" other planes for the game that MJ12 hasn't gotten around to yet, as well as perhaps expand the rules a bit here and there to get a "retro sci-fi" air-combat game out of it.

I'm thinking along the lines of Air Captain or Crimson Skies.

--Tim
--
Tim "Flak Magnet"
www.flakmagnet.com

elsyr
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Postby elsyr » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:18 am

cricket wrote:

You mean like these?

:)

Yup - exactly like those. Thanks! :D

So this means I can compile a list of all the hundreds of planes I want to see and just post them here, and you'll stat them right up lickety-split? Cool! I'm sure you have nothing better to do with your time. :wink:

By coincidence, I have a model of the BV138 on the way from I-94. Pretty useless, but I just had to tack it in to the order - the Flying Clog is one of my favorites. I'm also fond of the Do-24, the BV-222, and the PBY-5a - I must have a thing for seaplanes. The FW-189 is also pretty useless, but it just looks so cool. Not as cool (or as wierd) as the BV141, but still cool.

Doug

elsyr
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

Re: Open-source... expanding the range...

Postby elsyr » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:26 am

FlakMagnet wrote:as well as perhaps expand the rules a bit here and there to get a "retro sci-fi" air-combat game out of it.

I'm thinking along the lines of Air Captain or Crimson Skies.

--Tim

Or do WWI. I know MJ12 already has a WWI game, but I like the idea of using the same basic system (perhaps with the scale shifted to accomodate the lower speeds and greater maneuverability) for both.

Doug

thedugan
Admiral
Admiral

Postby thedugan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:41 am

Go here, go nuts....

http://www.luft46.com/

:D
Becuz I'm da friggin' ART FAIRY - dats why!

Big Bang = Let there be LIGHT!

Return to “Spitting Fire”