Car Wars / Road Warrior

What's next?
underling
Commodore
Commodore

Car Wars / Road Warrior

Postby underling » Wed May 10, 2006 3:53 pm

MJ-12 has a very good assortment of games, dealing with a lot of different genres.
But there's one genre that MJ-12 hasn't touched on yet, and it's one that I really enjoy gaming in.
And that is the Car Wars / Road Warrior genre.
Is there any interest out there in pursuing a Car Wars / Road Warrior themed game?
I've got a ton of stuff for it, and would really like to come up with some rules to use the stuff I've got.
I'm envisioning a game where each player can easily run multiple vehicles and pedestrians, and where vehicle maneuvering is there but not in great detail.
Kevin

goblinmarine

Postby goblinmarine » Wed May 10, 2006 9:35 pm

i think it sounds interesting and fun. have a few things to bring up.
1) would this be like mad max style? where the field is mostly a mass of cars with side to side jockeying and a bit of front to back movement.
2) would the focus be on car to car combat (a la twisted metal) or person to person combat on the cars (mad max again)

jygro
Captain
Captain

Awesome theme!

Postby jygro » Thu May 11, 2006 7:49 am

I've always loved Car Wars for theme, but the rules are way too outdated to play a decent game (I tried at Gencon last year and I almost stabbed myself in the thigh to get out of it). I'd love to see something that could bring that type of theme to today's wargaming style (complete with rules for campaigns). Besides, it beats trying to convert all those miniatures that I have for micro-machine sized car wars into something else! For about a half a 'season', I even drove up to Detroit (6 hr drive at the time) to play to races of Car Wars. Ahhh, the good old days!

What do you have in mind?
-Bren

aglass man
Midshipman
Midshipman

Postby aglass man » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:46 pm

i`d love to see a new car combat game. its the genre of gaming i started with, it being CarWars of course. but the enevitable always happens the rules become to encumbered, you spend more time trying to make the perfect car than ya do playing.
i tried the new rules, they`re fun fast, but still having to account for speed, turning hazards, etc. etc. . its all still just to much.
im trying to come up with some working guide lines using Dream Pod 9
Silhouette Engine, and construction rules, but i need to come up with a detailed crash table, spin, flip, skid stuff.
as far as the back ground stuff, i say arena combat, the open highway/streets thing can get a little daunting moving the board from back to front, and nothing really changes until the near end of the battle.
arenas can be made different every time you play, from dirt to concrete
and even npc spectator particapation or speed traps, if you go to slow,the arenas guns automaticlly target and fire on you

any way im rambling, theres my two cents.

Tommy.

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:23 am

In the back corners of my brain...and for something to do when I'm sitting with my daughter at feeding/burbing/cuddling/give mom a rest time and nothing else to do...I've been thinking about something along these lines. Car Wars or like Deathrace 2000 (you get to see Sly blowed up! yeah!!!! :lol: )

I've got a simple 3d6 type system developing that seems to be holding some promise.

Question is...would it be more fun on a track or say, an industrial plant of some size is cleared out...or several city blocks...or even a cornfield maze by the 'event organizers' and that's the combat arena?
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:55 pm

I'd prefer to see a system where you could play it on any surface:
i.e. highway, arena, or over several city blocks. I've got a number
of Matchbox cars, and several sets of the old GW game Dark Future,
along with a LOT of the pedestrians, that are just screaming for a
good system. Several times I've started trying to design such a
game, but always seem to get stuck on the same thing: whether the
game should be fast playing enough to allow players to control
multiple cars, pedestrians, etc. (which would mean fairly
streamlined maneuvering and damage systems), or whether the system
should be more detailed (which would limit the players to a few cars
or pedestrians. And I just can't seem to reach any kind of decision.
So it hasn't gotten done yet.
:/
Kevin
__________________________________________________________-

One vote for the 'open road'. ;)

I'm leaning towards the ability to control multiple cars/ peds myself. Fast playing enough to keep the attention span...yet enough shoot 'em up to be grimly satisfying. ;) *chuckles*
"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

jygro
Captain
Captain

Postby jygro » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:58 am

Personally I would like to see a game where you could control a 'limited' amount of vehicles (maybe 1 to 4) and that it could be played in arena or open road combat.

I think there should be a 'detailed' manuever system, but nothing as detailed as car wars. I would think that each car having a maneuver rating between 0 and 3 (5) and that is the numner of 'free' 45 degrees turns or drifts that the car can do in a turn. Any more requires a control check.

Lastly, there should be different vehicle frames (motorcycles, vans & trucks or mine), but that shouldn't be too hard to do. Simplely space inside the vehicle and the min/max number of wheel points would be good IMO.

Weaponry should be generate (ala starmada or wardogs) that will give players the largest amount of options.

Whew, maybe I should actually condense my thoguhts into a workable system...
-Bren

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:12 am

jygro wrote:Personally I would like to see a game where you could control a 'limited' amount of vehicles (maybe 1 to 4) and that it could be played in arena or open road combat.

I think there should be a 'detailed' manuever system, but nothing as detailed as car wars. I would think that each car having a maneuver rating between 0 and 3 (5) and that is the numner of 'free' 45 degrees turns or drifts that the car can do in a turn. Any more requires a control check.

Lastly, there should be different vehicle frames (motorcycles, vans & trucks or mine), but that shouldn't be too hard to do. Simplely space inside the vehicle and the min/max number of wheel points would be good IMO.

Weaponry should be generate (ala starmada or wardogs) that will give players the largest amount of options.

Whew, maybe I should actually condense my thoguhts into a workable system...
-Bren

maneuver system will be detailed...or rather, a given vehicle type will have a set of maneuvers available to it (all I'll say on it for now...but that's not the whole of things :P )...the key of course is the die mechanic I'm working up.

There will be different vehicle types...complete with hard points and such similar to wardogs.

Combat will be a bit different however though I'm going to try to keep the open weapon design included. "contests" will range through several scenario types. Full out combat...objectives...who can get the highest point total...Demolition (and I'm not talking JUST the cars! :twisted: ), etc.

For now it's going down as just sketchy notes...until I get Wardogs full up and running. :)

go0gleplex
Admiral
Admiral

Postby go0gleplex » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:52 am

Conversationally speaking...initial thoughts are vehicles will get a maneuver rating. So a motorcycle may be an MR 1 whilst a semi is gonna be and MR 6. A motorcycle tries to pull a 180 bootlegger at 60 mph...quick check of a chart shows this to be a moderate maneuver for the cycle...or a mag. 2+2. The semi trying to do the same thing shows it to be a difficult maneuver...or a mag. 3 -2 (for discussion). Of course driver skill would further modify things here...but I'm not including it in my initial conceptualization.

Meaning, the cycle would need to roll 3+ (MR1 +2=3) on at least two (mag. 2) of the three d6 rolled to successfully complete the maneuver.
The semi would need to roll 4+ (MR6-2= 4) on all three (mag. 3) of the d6 rolled to successfully complete the manuever.

Failure...well...ouch. :twisted:

underling
Commodore
Commodore

Postby underling » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:27 pm

go0gleplex wrote:Conversationally speaking...initial thoughts are vehicles will get a maneuver rating. So a motorcycle may be an MR 1 whilst a semi is gonna be and MR 6. A motorcycle tries to pull a 180 bootlegger at 60 mph...quick check of a chart shows this to be a moderate maneuver for the cycle...or a mag. 2+2. The semi trying to do the same thing shows it to be a difficult maneuver...or a mag. 3 -2 (for discussion). Of course driver skill would further modify things here...but I'm not including it in my initial conceptualization.
Meaning, the cycle would need to roll 3+ (MR1 +2=3) on at least two (mag. 2) of the three d6 rolled to successfully complete the maneuver.
The semi would need to roll 4+ (MR6-2= 4) on all three (mag. 3) of the d6 rolled to successfully complete the manuever.
Failure...well...ouch. :twisted:

Well, since I'm the one who originally brought up the topic I guess I'll throw out a few opinions.
:)
For starters, I think we should go with d10s. They're getting to the point where they're almost as common, and allow more "granularity," for lack of a better word.
A maneuver rating is fine, as long as it's a universal modifier that's added to all maneuvering rolls. I think I'd stay away from a maneuver chart for vehicle types, and maybe think about assigning "safe" speeds to various maneuvers. The reason for this is to not artificially limit what player can attempt. For example, if someone driving a tractor-trailer wants to attempt a bootlegger that's fine. More than likely it won't be successful, but let's not restrict a player from attempting it because that maneuver doesn't show up on a maneuver chart for the tractor-trailer.
The idea of hard points is fine. Dark Future uses it and it works.
You didn't mention anything about this, but for movement I'd like to stay away from plotted movement if possible. I'd like to come up with some sort of initiative system where when it's time for a vehicle or pedestrian group to activate they do so. It'll take some thought but I'm sure we can come up with something that works.
For damage allocation, we can probably go several directions. I guess I'd prefer to see a system where it's possible for a vehicle to still have most of it's systems functional after massive damage in one game, while in another game it might have all of it's weapons disabled after just a few hits in another. In other words, I'd prefer not to see the damage allocation be predictable. A good example of predictability is Silent Death. The damage tracks are cool, but a given fighter always takes damage in exactly the same way.
More later.
Kevin

Return to “Game Design”